With so many responsibilities in life, how does one manage to keep up with their studies, classes, job, social/romantic life & everything else in between? Life can throw many curve balls causing people to go off track or at times one can immerse in something & forgot about everything else that is going on.
This can be overwhelming & stressful especially for college students, because with the amount of freedom given, one can easily forget their role as a student. When it’s time for midterms & finals many students stay up becoming zombie like trying to cram everything in last minute.
What one forget is that all of this can be avoided with great time management skills, which is very crucial to living a happy stress-free college life. Managing your time can be hard at first especially when one can get lost in the moment, get side tracked or don’t know where or how to start. But with lots of planning & practice, one can improve on their time management skills. College is a perfect time to practice the habit of managing your time effectively since there is a lot to juggle. Being able to develop your time management skills will help you make your life a whole lot easier.
Here are some tips to help you better manage your time:
- Get into a routine & stick with it until it becomes a habit
- Don’t say “yes” to everything or everyone. If you are that person that cannot or do not like to say “no”, try to reply with “I will think about it” or “let me get back to you”.
- Set deadlines & complete them
- Set weekly, monthly, yearly goals & be strict with yourself to follow through no matter what
- Prioritize! Prioritize!! Prioritize!!!
- Procrastination is not your friend. Stay away from it. Like Nike’s logo “JUST DO IT”
- Discover all the “smart” features of your smart phone & use it to your advantages.
- Stay organized!!!
- Make & finish your daily to do list
- Get into the habit of using a planner & always carry it around.
- Figure out the time where you are most productive: morning, afternoon, or night
Lastly, my all-time favorite is printing out monthly calendars & using different color Sharpies to write in all the deadlines, appointments, meetings, duties, & etc. This was the most effective way to manage my time especially as an undergrad because writing things down helped me remembered & being able to visually see the calendars helped enforced my priorities. Post one in your room & carry one with you. Place it somewhere you can always see it. The calendars helped served as a reminder of what & when should be completed. Being able to see these monthly calendars will make you feel less overwhelmed & more prepared because you are able to plan accordingly.
Click on Sample Monthly Calendars for examples.
One you find yourself sticking to the routine, you will find yourself less stressed. With a regular schedule you will feel more accomplished & have more free time to do the things you originally thought you didn’t have time for. One you start to manage your time wisely, you will feel less busy & all over the place. Even if something unexpectedly comes up, you can always look at your schedule & readjust to make sure everything fits for you. Time is a precious thing & the clock will always be ticking. Once time is lost, there is no getting it back. Make sure to crave out time for people & things that you find important. Stop saying “I don’t have time” but instead figure out the best time to incorporate them into your life. Nothing is worse than the feeling of wasted time you CANNOT get back.