The anticipation of move in day have arrived & you are finally off to college. As exciting as a moment this is, it can also be very stressful & emotional. Here are some tips to help ensure a smooth move in.
Before moving in:
- Determine your school’s move in dates and time.
- If you are sharing items with your roommate(s), discuss item(s) each person is responsible for.
- Pack lightly & make sure to bring those special items that will remind you off home.
- Label all of your materials & boxes.
When moving in:
- Check in & learn the produce of move in.
- Sign up for the use of those huge rolling laundry basket.
- Once you are receive your key, go to the room to scope it out & see how big it is.
- Rearrange the furniture such as the bed & desk before moving everything else in.
- For more storage space, place your bed at the highest point & use the space below for storage.
- DO NOT remove any furniture from the room or replace them with outside ones.
- Complete a room damage form. Take your time & inspect the room because you will be responsible for the charges if it was not documented.
- If you are sharing items with your roommate(s), place them in a common area accessible to all.
- Decorate & arrange your room to your liking. This will be your home for the next few months.
After you move in:
- Introduce yourself to your RA.
- Bond with your roommate(s) or floor mate.
- Walk & explore the campus.
- Grab some food at the dining hall.
- Breathe & relax because you are all moved in.
Good luck with move in day. Remember that the lines will be long & there will be plenty of other students moving in. Things can feel very overwhelming but whatever you do, breathe in & out. Remain calm. The start of your college days are just about to begin, so enjoy the journey.