Before classes begin, universities & colleges usually host first week or welcome week, where they put on a series of events to help provide a fun & smooth college transition. For a listing of all activities & events, please check with your school. If possible try to attend as many outings & events as you can for first week/welcome week. It is designed for new college students & there is a lot to gain.
During this time you can:
- Connect with your peers
- Explore campus & find the buildings/halls your classes will be held in
- Learn about the many resources the campus have to offer
- Learn about register student organizations on campus & potentially sign up for a few
- Explore your community & local shops
- Learn the school’s fight song so you can chant this at the sport games
- Meet with advisors from different majors & minors offered at the school
- Learn how to navigate your school’s blackboard
Take the time to enjoy these events & most important network! Be yourself & meet new people. After all these are your peers, so why not take the time to get to know them & make it worthwhile?